Pages

November 15, 2011

Green Day AKA Weed Day

Question: Which of these is a) Daun Selom, b) Ulam Raja?



 
Tasteless, bland, decorative, wall-creeping weed. That pretty much sums up my interpretation of raw Ulam (or Malay herbal salad) as a child. I wonder about a lot of things during that age…and I did wonder why old folks like to eat grass like cows (but with rice and more table etiquette). 

Then, the year 2011 witnessed my sudden devotion to Ikan Bakar Jln Bellamy. Had my ulam as side dish…and my perspective changes instantly; an effect similar to when I got to know Zachary Quinto is gay (Sylar…gay….WTH?).

While looking for info on ulam, got to know that Daun Selom has three meanings in English; Water Dropwort (Hogwarts’ by-products?), Water Celery & Water Parsley, while Ulam Raja means Cosmos Caudatus (which sounds very otherworldly and cool…and Genting Theme Park-like).



At the moment, got my raw supply from the Ulam-selling lady at the Sunday dry market, Dewan Muhibbah, Kota Damansara. Bought a bunch of Daun Selom and Ulam Raja last Sunday, affordably priced at RM1 each. Had my Ulam Raja together with wifey’s Ayam Masak Merah (chicken in spicy tomato base), vegetable soup, and Pengat Keledek (sweet potato in sweetened coconut milk).


Ulam Raja replacing parsley’s role in the future? (David Arumugam: "Malaysia Bole")

1 comment:

ayu & mael said...

Tq for the translation!! :-)